Discussion: How Can We Promote The Use Of Social Deduction?

Basically what the title says. Right now, many players ignore the social aspect of the game entirely, relying primarily or exclusively on mechanical tools to deduce. While this is a viable strategy, the use of social deduction in ToL, a social deduction game, can improve one’s play and make the game more interesting. How can we encourage people to make use of social tools, rather than purely mechanical ones, in solving the game?

10 Likes

Real answer: make it mountainous

I think a big one is reducing tools players can rely on instead of social deduction

Things like nerfing Prince and reducing the effectiveness of investigative classes would both help a lot

5 Likes

Would like a post count work? Requiring people to send at least 5 messages a day might bring the reading level up. I know when I played I would kinda just slack until someone addressed me or I had mechanical info

Can’t enforce meaningful post content, sadly

5 Likes

Yeah true, idk if it would work but like maybe just an afk system at least

Other than Removing Fool

There really isn’t one, unless you make the game less defined by mechanics (VT/Watered down classes) or if you reduce the overall effectiveness of mechanics (Investigatives being slightly random)

Would just removing the extra feedback be good. Like does a phys need to know their heal worked

2 Likes

What specific changes did you have in mind?

You die to inactivity if you’re truly inactive but using your night action counts as being active

I’m worried that anything like a minimum posting requirement will just lead to people spamming ‘hello everyone’

Yeah and I feel like spam would be out of hand

One thing that’s occurred to me is that as long as ‘ignore the social aspects, massclaim D2, PoE the non-mechanically-confirmed people’ is a viable strategy people aren’t going to want to branch out

I’m not sure how to reduce confirmability beyond the obvious changes, though, I don’t think FoL-style limited feedback would be viable in ToL

1 Like

Lessen the power of mechanical solving while also reducing the kill power of scum
You can do this by having roles that don’t give perfect information (Princess is a great example), while also having ways to improve consistency for scum kills so that game isn’t as swingy (see mafioso/godfather in ToS)

4 Likes

People will default to mechanics if it can solve the game since they aren’t susceptible to the people problem

1 Like

This feels kind of contradictory, can you elaborate?

Observer’s the biggest invest in need of a change tbh

It is almost entirely mechanical, insanely strong, and a real contributor to this despite not being a “push button get result” class

4 Likes

ie
scum can’t win the game by just their mechanics if town has a good idea where scum are. They have to do something in order to win

but on the inverse their mechanics become more consistent and not as susceptible to ‘no kill last night it’s unseen game the blocked person is evil’

1 Like

Simple question.
Why? (At OP)

1 Like

Throne of Lies is a 3D online multiplayer game where up to 16 players use their social deduction skills in a modern take on tabletop games like Werewolf/Mafia and set during a time of medieval conflict within a fantasy realm.

The unique Day/Night cycle allows unique encounters with different strategies per phase. During the day, players discuss their findings and accuse players of treason. At night, players use their abilities to occupy, spy on, conspire against and even kill the opposing players. In a game of minority vs majority and where wit is more important than abilities, the good players will accuse and execute the guilty of treason, while the bad guys will manipulate others to turn the good guys against themselves!

While Cult and Unseen players know their allies, members of the Blue Dragon must be suspicious of every other player to ensure that they don’t fall to an evil plot. Even the King is suspect in Throne of Lies , and the enemy’s ability to convert other players to their side means that allegiances are always shifting.

The game concludes when the Blue Dragon faction has disposed of all hostile threats against the kingdom or their enemies have seized control of the Throne of Lies !

Literally from the website