ToL makes my GPU very hot

What happened:

The GPU becomes very hot when I play this game, 70-75 °C. This is much more than in any other game I have played.

What was SUPPOSED to happen:

The GPU temperature should be around 50-60 °C.

Specs:

GPU: GTX 980 ti (not overclocked)
Display: 2560x1440, 144 Hz, G-sync
CPU: i7 6700k
RAM: 16 gb ram

Steps to reproduce this issue:

This happens to me everytime I play this game but all other games (including AAA games) make much less strain to the GPU.

Other notes:

The Gpu gets only slighty colder if I lower the settings, resolution or FPS. I also updated drivers recently (387.92) and the issue still persisted.

1 Like

hot you say? Oh my!

tell your GPU to takes it’s clothes off

You running it in Vulkan or DirectX?

I normally use DirectX 11. Just tried Vulkan and it was between 72-75 °C.

And you’ve tried running it on the lowest settings possible?

I just did a game session, tried with some different settings:

24 fps, g-sync off, directX11, 640x480, lowest graphics, lowest models, lowest texture = ~ 47 °C

60 fps, g-sync on, directX11, 1920x1080, lowest graphics, lowest models, lowest texture = 58 - 60 °C

60 fps, g-sync off, directX11, 2560x1440, lowest graphics, lowest models, lowest texture = 57 - 63 °C

60 fps, g-sync on, directX11, 2560x1440, lowest graphics, lowest models, lowest texture = 57 - 65 °C

60 fps, g-sync on, directX11, 2560x1440, low graphics, low models, low texture = 66 - 68 °C

60 fps, g-sync on, directX11, 2560x1440, low graphics, medium models, medium texture = ~ 67 °C

144 fps, g-sync on, directX11, 2560x1440, medium graphics, low models, low texture = 70 - 73 °C

Over 60 fps seems to be possible only with medium and high settings. G-syncs seemed to make no difference. Resolution made small difference. Settings made some difference. Fps made some difference.

Still I think GTX 980 ti should be able to run game like this with highest settings without overheating too much.

I’m not sure what the issue is. There’s plenty of people that can run it on crappy laptops, so I don’t think it’s eating up a bunch of resources. I’ll try looking into it at some point.

Have you tried doing a clean install of your drivers? Sometimes there can be stuff left over from older installs that can mess things up.

@Kotilo

1. Laptop or Stationary?
    1. Cooler used? (if stationary)
    1. If laptop, try cleaning the cooler / fan (google for a guide, proceed with caution)
    1. Your GPU should be able to handle much more than what it is
    1. What kind of ram do you have? DDR3? DDR4? (what clock speed) (Ex: 2500Ghz)
    1. 2gb? 4gb? 8gb? 16? 32?
    1. Have you checked the power going to the fan or checked the fan-speed? (certain programs can do this, say Program that came with gpu/cpu or, http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php (proceed with own caution)
      (Incase you changed any of theese since original post)

After some years of using the graphics processor unit slows down. You can tweak it with the procedure given at nvidia forum and you will also get some cool tricks for tweaking too.

cough

that is 10 months before :3