Angleshooting in Forum Games

I’d never punish for angleshooting outside of “forum info which is used in the thread”.

Because I wouldn’t 1. notice it 2. see it as a problem 3. see it going against a specific rule 4. can’t proof malicious intent -> so the person is innocent.

1 Like

I hosted an NFoL. After the match, someone decided to warn one of my newbies (a Guide, in specific) for angleshooting. But he wasn’t able to explain it, and the Guide wasn’t able to understand why this specific matter would be punishable or bad at all.
… I was pissed :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m a firm believer in that host should never have discretion over global rules.
Angleshooting is left up to host discretion.
It is literally an undefined global rule. That is a major problem. It needs removed.

People are literally punishing others for ‘angleshooting’. Why is angleshooting bad?

I’ve noticed it with people as well that they’ll debunk people’s arguments for term usage. One moment, I’ll try and find it.

1 Like

Rules should never be left to someone’s discretion (at least in theory… in practice they have to decide if borderline cases are punishable or not), that’s just arbitrariness and led to me not playing with hosts I don’t trust.

1 Like

This is taken from SFoL Clash of Cults.

Why does it matter what OMGUS is? You’ve still done it.
You’re defending yourself off of term usage. What Hja has suspected you for is not because it’s OMGUSing, it’s because it’s what they think OMGUSing is.

It’s the same principle in angleshooting except it’s the contrary. People are punishing for ‘angleshooting’ rather than what angleshooting actually is, which is a fair strategy. (discounting what I’ll now refer to as OGI Angleshooting).

The law could immediately ban ‘force’. Since the law has banned force, people will be punished for it.
Yes it will capture murderers but it’ll also capture people who had the right to defend themselves.
Why are people punishing for ‘force’ rather than punishing for being a murderer?

Ah but you see
It’s ITT info that player b was posting when player c got dayvigged

I disagree wholeheartedly and I think the host deserves control over hosting their own game that they usually have put an immense time and effort in. If you disagree with them, take it up with them in classcards/post game or simply don’t join their games again. The hardest degree that they can punish you on is with a modkill/force replace and sometimes that has been made necessary to preserve game integrity. The only instance I can remember of angleshooting being actually punished with intent to punish instead of preserving game integrity was Memesky asking informed spectators in their classcard who the scum were. Actual global blacklists are handled by moderators. I also do think hosts hold the right to exclude anyone they don’t want to join their games with a personal blacklist, although this right is rarely exercised. I also do think using information outside of the game in the game falls under angleshooting as it’s “against the spirit of the game”.

1 Like

Yeah “against the spirit of the game” is a wonderful explanation which says… ehm… nothing at all?

Not all hosts allow this fyi. It will usually result in a more strenuous hosting experience for them, so some could make the choice to ban this kind of argumentation and not be hassled with prequeueing. I personally don’t see this as angleshooting, but definitely not the most fun way to argument to me. Can’t really make much of a defense against it and if you attempt it, you start talking about things that don’t really involve the game.

It’s a supposed honor system, which inherently is hard to define
The better umbrella term is “If it’s not in the thread, that shot’s wack”

I wholeheartly disagree. Rules shouldn’t be arbitrary. They should be as clear as possible. If you can’t define a rule or can’t explain a rule, it’s a really really bad rule.

Honor? I thought we are speaking about rules

Agree since players can and will step on the toes of rules

The rules shouldn’t prevent you from enforcing… the rules? I don’t even know what you mean

The honor system is also a system granting freedom from customary surveillance (as to students or prisoners) with the understanding that those who are so freed will be bound by their honor to observe regulations (e.g. prison farms are operated under the honor system ),[1] and will therefore not abuse the trust placed in them.

A person engaged in an honor system has a strong negative concept of breaking or going against it. The negatives may include community shame, loss of status, loss of a personal sense of integrity and pride or in extreme situations, banishment from one’s community.

I’m speaking on the topic of defining rules
Players who aren’t sure may break unintentionally which gets extremely messy

Uhm… we aren’t in a honor system tho. We have rules. Which are clearly defined. I don’t care about if you play honorable or not. I care if you break the rules.

Breaking rules unintentionally is not punishable (including warns, since warnings are punishments).

Here, have a nice example of rules.

Code%20of%20conduct

I’m defining how “spirit of the game” works in a practical manner.
I’m not arguing the validity of the system

1 Like