[Discussion] Introducing the Forum of Lies Awards!

Hi everyone!

As we mentioned earlier this week, we’re planning on shifting to an annual awards system. This thread is going to go through the current draft of the rules, as well as the awards categories. This isn’t set in stone yet – one of the things we’re hoping to do here is get feedback on the rules, as well as on categories you’d like to see added or removed.

In particular, one thing we’d like feedback on is whether you’d prefer annual awards or a semiannual (every six months) awards. The rules we have right now assume the former, but it would be fairly easy to rewrite them. Awards will be held annually!

Feel free to use this thread to discuss nominations!

Updated Awards System:

Credit to the Mafia Universe mods for creating the system that I’ve modelled these awards off of.

Rules

• Anyone who has played at least one game on FoL can nominate another member for an award. Anyone who has played or hosted at least one game on FoL is eligible to receive an award.
  • All nominations must have a nomination and a second to be valid. You cannot nominate yourself, nor can you nominate a team that you were part of (for example, if you were scum in FoL 99, you can’t nominate the FoL 99 scumteam for a group award; however, you could nominate a teammate for an individual award).
  • A minimum of 3 days must pass between a game ending and any nominations for that game.
  • All games that occurred at least in part in 2021 are eligible for awards. For this year only, there is also a “legacy” category, for games prior to 2021.
  • The deadline for nominations is one week after the last game that began in 2021 ends.
  • Once the nominations period is over, all relevant awards will be eligible for voting. Voting will be done via forum poll (the results will not be visible to anyone except forum moderators).

Awards

Individual Awards

Summary

Best Town Perfomance - Single Player (small game): For a good individual performance as town in a game with 15 or fewer players.

Best Town Performance - Single Player (large game): For a good individual performance as town in a game with 16 or more players.

Best Scum Perfomance - Single Player (small game): For a good individual performance as scum in a game with 15 or fewer players.

Best Scum Performance - Single Player (large game): For a good individual performance as scum in a game with 16 or more players.

Best Neutral/Third Party Performance: For a good individual performance as a neutral role, in a game of any size.

Best Misc Performance: For good performance in a Misc game. In extraordinary circumstances, a team may be nominated for this award.

Best Use of a Power Role: For a player who displayed skill in using their Power Role (PR). This may be any PR, even a very weak one.

Best Mechanical/Strategical Player: For a player who consistently displays good knowledge of mechanics and uses them effectively, as either alignment.

Best Replacement Player: For a player who consistently replaces into games, and plays solidly after doing so.

Rookie-of-the-Year: For a player whose first game was in 2021.

Most Improved Player: For a player whose first game was PRIOR to 2021, but who improved significantly in 2021.

Most Dedicated/Enjoyable/Enthusiastic Player: For a player who is dedicated, enthusiastic, and enjoyable to play with, even when the game is going poorly.

Best Team Player: For a player who does a good job at working with their teammates, regardless of their alignment.

Best Misc Player: For a player who consistently does well in Misc games.

Best Town Player: For the best overall town player.

Best Scum Player: For the best overall scum player.

Best All-Around Player: For a player who is “good at everything.”

Team Awards

Summary

Best Town Performance, Group (Small Game): For collective excellence as town, in a game with 15 or fewer players.

Best Town Performance, Group (Large Game): For collective excellence as town, in a game with 16 or more players.

Best Scum Performance, Group (Small Game): For collective excellence as scum, in a game with 15 or fewer players.

Best Scum Performance, Group (Large Game): For collective excellence as scum, in a game with 16 or more players.

Hosting Awards

Summary

Best Host: For a host who consistently hosts well-designed and enjoyable games.

Best Flavor: For a host who writes good flavor.

Best Setup: For an interesting, enjoyable, and well-designed setup.

Best Misc: For an interesting, enjoyable, and well-designed Misc.

Best Role/Mechanic: For a role or mechanic that was both interesting and well-designed.

Fun Awards

Summary

Funniest Moment: For the funniest moment.

Best Fakeclaim: For the most effective fakeclaim.

Community MVP: For the community member most willing to help out the community and make it a good place to be. Mods are not eligible.

Legacy Awards

Summary

Best Town Performance (Individual): For the best individual performance as town, in a game (of any size) prior to 2021.

Best Scum/Neutral Performance (Individual): For the best individual performance as scum or neutral, in a game (of any size) prior to 2021.

Best Town Performance (Group): For the best collective performance as town, in a game (of any size) prior to 2021.

Best Scum Performance (Group): For the best collective performance as scum, in a game (of any size) prior to 2021.

Best Setup: For an interesting, enjoyable, and well-designed setup, prior to 2021.

Best Misc: For an interesting, enjoyable, and well-designed Misc, prior to 2021.

5 Likes

what does this mean

I second this ^

1 Like

see what i did there image

1 Like

ah, so like somebody who is co-nominating basically?

1 Like

yep

someone nominates
someone says they second it

1 Like

I propose best reviewer so me and eevee can gladiate to the death

2 Likes

annual
semi-annual is a bit unnecessary since we don’t have that many games in 6 months

2 Likes

semi-annual so i can be let down more

probably biannual so people can still get their highs from the awards after every game

also wheres the best lolcat award :^)

2 Likes

bad take
you get an absurdly small sample size

valid category
we also need most powerful spec chat warrior

4 Likes

I took it out because I was worried it would lead to people lolcatting for no reason in hopes of getting the award

thats absurd

lolcatting is NAI, after all

This is a lot

Looks really good tho :slight_smile: I like it!!

Where is the best selfvote and AtE award

1 Like

Originally when I first read the post I was thinking semi-annual, but this is a good point about the number of games.

Also, can someone win more than one award? Any limit? I couldn’t find that it was specified. I’m assuming there’s no limit, but just wondering for clarification. Sometimes people like to limit awards to spread them out more.

we all know who wins the misc award this year
(so far)

shortnite 2
which whisked us away and made us rethink our life decisions