[SFM] Newbie-Friendly Pokèmon 9er - Town Win

Welcome to Newbie-Friendly Pokèmon 9er, hosted by @Arete and cohosted by @DatBird!

Rules:

Follow the Global Forum Rules, given in this post:

Additionally, for this game, a minimum requirement of 20 substantive, on-topic, game related posts per in game day are required. Posts that are explicitly or obviously made solely for the purpose of meeting this requirement do not count towards the minimum, nor do posts containing solely a vote. The first time a player fails to meet this requirement, they will be given a warning; the second time they fail to meet it, they will be replaced out. A player who zero-posts will be subbed out without a warning. This requirement may be reduced or waived if an elimination is hammered early by majority.

The game will begin when full.

Role List

Closed (see below)

Sample role PMs:

Summary

Pikachu

pikachu
Vanilla Town

You are a Vanilla Townie. Your only weapons are your voice and your vote.

Defeat the Mafia.

Pidgey

pidgey
Mafia Goon

You are a Mafia Goon. You share a 24/7 private chat with your fellow members of the Mafia. Each night, the Mafia must kill a player outside your faction.

Reach parity with the town.

Gameplay

• This set-up is explicitly newbie-friendly, and additionally designed to be friendly to players who may feel that they are not normally listened to, or that their voices are drowned out by those of more experienced players. This is largely up to self-selection; however, at my discretion, I may apply Wisdom of the Mod to more experienced and vocal players who wish to join. To be clear, players do not need to be newbies to join; however, if you’re generally an extremely vocal player whose reads are followed, this game isn’t really designed for you.

• The set-up is a closed 9 player set-up. However, the following information is public:

• The game consists of 7 members of the Town and 2 members of the Mafia. The Town wins upon eliminating all members of the Mafia; the Mafia wins upon reaching parity with the town.

• There will be at least one “power role,” but many roles will be vanilla.

• All roles in this set-up are normal roles, or variants of normal roles. For the purposes of this game, all roles and modifiers found on this page qualify as normal.

• The Mafia factional kill is assigned and non-exclusive. This means that a specific member of the Mafia must be chosen to carry out the factional kill, but that member may additionally perform their normal night action if applicable. If the member performing the factional kill is not specified, the last member to submit a kill will be assumed to be performing it.

• The Mafia factional kill is mandatory. If a kill is not submitted, it will instead target a random member of the town, and be performed by a random living member of the Mafia.

• Flavor is not alignment or role indicative.

• Days are 48 hours unless majority is reached early and nights are 24 hours.

• Eliminations are majority and plurality.

• In the case of a tie, the elimination will be randomized between all tied players.

• No-eliminate is a valid vote, and may be hammered to end the day early. In cases where no-eliminate and another vote are tied at the end of the day, no-eliminate will have priority in the rand.

• Self-votes are considered valid votes.

• Votes are locked in LyLo (eliminate-or-lose) scenarios, but not in MyLo (miseliminate-and-lose) scenarios. That is to say, in situations where town must eliminate correctly or lose, the first vote cast by a given player is final and cannot be changed.

• All votes must be in the form /vote [name of player] to be considered valid, and all unvotes must be in the form /unvote. This is to enable the smooth processing of votes.

• The Mafia will communicate through a private Discord server or forum topic.

Player List:

1. Min Died N1 Vanilla Town
  2. an_gorta_pratai
  3. clonedcheese
  4. ArcticXI
  5. kiromishiro21
  6. Silviu200530 Died D1 Vanilla Town
  7. Appelsiini
  8. WindwardAway
  9. YouButWorse

Backups:

1. Mist
  2. eevee
  3. PKR
  4. Geyde
  5. katze
  6. sulit
  7. ThePigeonNYC

Spectators:

1. Marshal (informed)
  2. Italy (informed)
  3. Eli (informed)
  4. Chloe (uninformed)
  5. GGhana (informed)
  6. Astand (informed)
  7. Jane (uninformed)
  8. Trochilidae (informed)

Milestones:

SOD 2

2 Likes

A few pregame notes:

• If you have any questions about how the game works, please do not hesitate to reach out to me or DatBird. We want to make sure everyone understands how the game operates, and we’re here to help.
  • That said, we can’t tell you things like ‘how to find out who the Mafia are.’ For that, your best resource is the other players in the game.
  • Do not talk about the game outside of the game threads, and other threads that DatBird or I create for you! This is really important - doing something like that can give away important information.
1 Like

Pregame flavor

“Wait for me!” shouted Joey, racing after his friends. After years of training, they had finally decided to take on the Pokèmon League. Joey smiled for a moment; growing up as a child in the Johto region he had never imagined that one day he’d challenge a Pokèmon League anywhere. But ever since he’d moved to Kanto, he’d gotten more involved with Ace Trainers, and now he felt ready to take on even the Elite Four.

Still, before any of them could battle the Elite Four and the Champion, they had to take on Victory Road. Although Victory Road was technically governed by the same regulations that controlled battles that occurred in towns and on Routes, in practice, anyone who wanted to break the laws was unlikely to be caught. Moreover, the twists and turns of the caves made Victory Road one of the most dangerous places in Kanto; every year, there were trainers who tried to take it on, only to disappear, never to be heard from again.

But that was why there were nine of them. With nine trainers working together, they could cover for each other, keeping watch at night. If one of them were injured, some of them could split off and turn back for help.

…Or so Joey thought. What he didn’t know was that two among them were spies from Team Plasma, who had fled the Unova Region after the second defeat of Ghetsis. The two spies knew that their best chance at finally fulfilling Team Plasma’s mission was to defeat the Pokèmon League themselves, but while they had a plan for how to defeat the Champion they had no plan for what to do if the Champion were replaced with one of their supposed friends. They would stop at nothing to prevent the other seven from making it through Victory Road.

3 Likes

Day 1 begins, and will end in 48 hours, or earlier if a majority is reached for execution! With 9 players alive, majority is 5.

@Min
@an_gorta_pratai
@clonedcheese
@Arctic
@kiromishiro21
@Silviu200530
@Appelsiini
@WindwardAway
@YouButWorse

just gonna come out and say first, also jeeze that backstory is dark

first

is anybody else concerned by the fact that kids are literally going missing

then again that probably isn’t the most worrying thing in the pokemon franchise

The flavor is unova

I love you aroot

frick no it’s not

I saw ghetis and got excited

i have never finished a pokemon game and i’ve played like 3 total

Hello everyone!

Based off of criticism I was given my last game, I’m gonna post less and put more thought into my posts.

There’s a lot of people who I don’t know here so uhh I’ll go ahead and do something someone suggested me to do personally last game

So I have a question. For everyone especially new people here, what introduced you to mafia and social deduction in the first place?

2 Likes

the last time i played was when i did a diamond randomizer nuzlocke 6-ish months ago

i ragequit after my lugia that i got from a fossil died

1 Like

I’ve always enjoyed mafia type games, but what really got me into it was ToS about 4ish years ago. It was the first game I ever bought on steam and I have a ton of time spent on it. I heard about ToL through ToS and bought it from the recent sale and now were here.

orangeandblack5
The man got me into mafia over at Chief Delphi

1 Like

basically the same for me, except i found ToL after getting recommended videos probably due to ToS

oh yeah this too

For those of us that are not completely new (i.e. one game under their belt)

What was your most recent game, and what did you learn from it?

Tos is definitely a common place people start social deduction lol

I don’t remember how long ago I got into it, it was maybe 3/4 years ago? From there my friend showed me tol and then I was brought here. I do have a good amount of experience in social deduction just much less pertaining to like forums and stuff as it’s much different (less mechanics and more reading socially)

I have one game which is the deus ex one

I was starting town and on d5 I was converted to illuminati and thankfully won my first game as that.

I was definitely taught a lot that game from many people. Especially just the fact that posting too much can make it extremely difficult for people to properly iso me which is pretty bad for town- and I also need to reevaluate my reads on people, because I kept pushing on people with this mindset that 100% they’re evil which is NOT a very successful mindset whatsoever. Hyperposting and tunneling everyone to the point of them not being able to defend themselves isn’t really good therefore it’s something I really hope I work on this game.

1 Like

I got one of my favorite pokeomons as my flavor